Sunday, February 21, 2010

How it all Began

It all began in the deep dark recesses of my worrying mind. I was pregnant with my second child, Ella. It was 2006. I kept feeling little twinges and big twinges in my right breast. My OB/GYN performed almost monthly exams, and reassured me that it was most likely my milk ducts preparing to produce milk. As soon as possible after giving birth I had a mammography. I was 38. I didn't point out the spot I was concerned about...and now, years later I wonder if my having them focus on a certain area instead of relying on them to sort through the confusing white clouds on the x-ray would have found everything much soon. I'm sure I'll never know. The mammogram came back fine, and this being what I wanted to hear...I walked away. The second year after my second child I returned for another mammogram only to get the same result. The third year I insisted on getting an ultrasound together with my mammography and pointed and spoke and told and pointed over and over again that THIS, THIS is the spot they needed to focus on.

Sure enough...there it was.

Stage 1 Breast Cancer. A lump smaller than 2 centimeters...I was 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment